SCS Group is proud to be an approved installer and official reseller of the FläktGroup smoke shaft vent system. The system has been approved by Local Authority Building Control (LABC) which means that the building control sign-off is quick and pain-free as the system is pre-approved in its entirety. With this system you don’t need an individual CFD model or bespoke design work. It is suitable for buildings of three to 20 storeys.
What is a smoke shaft?
A smoke shaft is a common method for ventilating lobbies of tall buildings, used to maintain tenable conditions in the common escape routes in the event of a fire in the building. Originally smoke shafts were developed by BRE as a passive system requiring large risers and dampers to allow for the buoyancy effects of the fire to provide motion to clear smoke from the corridors.
The FläktGroup smoke shaft vent system reduces the required shaft area specified by BRE by the addition of a set of smoke extract fans located at roof level; saving on lettable space within the development and removing the risk of wind or negative heat effects limiting the effectiveness of the passive ventilation system.
The FläktGroup smoke shaft vent system in detail
A fan skid, part of the FläktGroup smoke shaft vent system
This HT system is a fire-engineered solution for for single-shaft stairwell protection using smoke extract.
- Meets ErP 2015 criteria for dual-use fans delivering high efficiency operation thus reducing carbon emissions
- Prefabricated assembled solution so significantly reduced risk of components being lost and needing replacement
- Packaged solution allowing for minimal plant lifts to the roof, minimal wiring on site and avoids the need for coordination and sourcing from separate suppliers of fans, controls, ductwork and dampers
- Configured using an easy-selection tool
- FläktGroup has recently released the NEW smoke shaft selection tool helping to de-risk the early stage design… available now through a fan selector at http://fanselector.flaktwoods.com/download/ – to activate your account please contact email@example.com
- For single-shaft systems between 3 and 20 storeys in height
- Designed using guidance from Approved Document B, EN12101 Parts 6, 7, 9 & 10 and PD 7974-6:2004
- Proven by Concept CFD for largest and smallest of the range. Bespoke CFD not essential but can be offered
- Package solution of fans, controls, lobby dampers, stairwell ventilators, sensors and actuators
- Managed with an easy-selection tool
- Can provide daytime ventilation to limit corridor over-heating during the summer months
- De-mystifying the design process
- Suitable for single-stair buildings over 11m in height
- Pre-approved system design with LABC
For more information on the FläktGroup smoke shaft vent system and using it for your project, please contact either Mike Jackson or Matthew Thompson from our Pre-Construction Team or you can call them on 0870 240 6460.